Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mom's Thanksgiving & Recipes

Yesterday went wonderful! One of my nieces brought cranberry sauce with cranberries in it and my brothers like the jelly kind. So, Aron and I went to the store to get the jellied kind. He made the comment that he didn't know there were different kinds of cranberry sauce. I don't know what come over me but I got goofy! (Which I needed) I got to slapping my hand on my chest saying... Dum Dum Dummmmmmmmmmm Dum ta Dum! He turned RED! Looked around because the store was crowed and said real loud, I don't know this lady she is lost and helping her find her way out of the store! I couldn't help my self, I didn't it again. LOL! Then he got to acting goofy with me. Aron also has been learning guitar and played for everybody at momma's. Which I was strutting around like a proud momma. My brothers couldn't believe how good is doing and he just started in September. Oh, the pecan pie with Karo (light corn syrup) was the best pie, but the brown sugar was still good.
Okay, some Holiday recipes:

Southern Pecan Pie
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
2 T margarine- melted
2 eggs
2 T flour
1 tbs vanilla
1 cup Karo (light corn syrup or if your prefer dark corn syrup)
1 cup pecans
Pastry pie shell
Mix eggs well then add sugar, margarine, eggs, flour, vanilla and Karo. Blend very good and add pecans. pour in pie dish. Cook 30-35 mins @ 375 degrees.

Pecan Pie w/brown sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 T flour
2 T milk
2 eggs
1 tbs vanilla
1/2 margarine - melted
Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and the other ingredients in another then blend well and pour in pie shell. (Instead of doing it this way I do it the same as the recipe above) Cook 375 degrees for 30-35 mins

Crock Pot Dressing
Ingredients:
You can use a whole chicken (mom prefers 3-4 chicken breast)
Large onion
6 eggs
1 cup milk or as needed
salt and pepper to taste
1 can chicken broth (I rather use my own, just keep adding water to broth to keep making more till you have all you need.)
4-5 celery chop
1 stick butter
7 cup corn meal
1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning.
1 can cream of chicken
4 pieces of loaf bread.

Put your chicken on to boil and when chicken is almost done add celery, onion and 3 eggs. When it comes to another good boil, turn off, put on lid and sit to the side.(Should let sit 20 minutes or longer to make sure eggs get done.) You can go ahead and take out chicken to cool if done)
While your chicken is cooking make up your corn bread with corn meal, butter, 3 eggs and milk. (My momma prefers using cast iron skillet, I do too for regular corn bread , but for dressing I use a cake pan because it is so much of it.)
When corn bread is done crumble up in big bowl and pour some broth over. Put a lid over it and let it sit for a bit to soak up. (This is when I would add water to what broth I have to make more) Then pour the rest of broth that is needed to make it. If you don't need all of broth spoon out onions and celery. Add cream of chicken and loaf bread. When you get the mixture to the right Constancy that you want add chicken cut up and chopped boiled eggs. Pour into large crock pot and cook 3 hours.
Hope you Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I read the recipes, and you can count on me to find something missing. In the Brown sugar pecan pie, after the brown sugar, it is 1/2 cup of something, I am guessing sugar. At least you know I read your recipes.

Your dressing is so different from what we have here. Ours is made cubed bread, stale or dry, or fresher. We add celery, onions, sage, and sometimes apples cut up. We add more seasoning, like salt and pepper. We make a mixture of eggs, milk and mix with the bread and other stuff until moistened, then stuff it in a bird or put it in a roaster or put it in a crock pot and cook it for an hour or two depending on where it is being cooked. It is neat how different places have different names for things, or different recipes for the things called by the same name.