Sunday, November 04, 2007

Holiday Fun Monday

Our host this week is Deborah at http://blog.humblehousewife.com/
Here is her assignment:
With the holidays coming up I thought it would be fun to get an insight into holiday traditions in peoples homes. I want you to share a tradition, event, recipe or quirk that you or your family does or aspires to do during the holidays, whether those holidays be Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, or whatever you celebrate! Given that this is a food blog I am especially interested in recipes, but anything will do! Pictures are a plus! Bonus points for Thanksgiving, as I need all the help I can get with that one - as this year my American mother-in-law, brother's girlfriend and her mother are coming!!!

I guess here we do Traditional Southern Thanksgiving and Christmas. We go to my mom's the Sunday before both Holiday or on the 27th Day of November. They reason we do it like this that we can be with both family's with out rushing. Also, the reason we do it on the 27th if we can't the Sunday before is my birthday.
When we go to my mom's house I fix chicken and dressing because I hate turkey. (You know a Turkey is not going to eat another Turkey. LOL!)
Here is what I take to momma's and some of the recipes from my momma's
:
Tatar Salad
Biol 6-7 peeled and cubed potatoes
Just before your potatoes are done put 3-4 eggs boil.
When eggs are done (About 20-30 minutes) sit the eggs in cold water.
Drain the water off the potatoes then add
1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup mustard, 2-3 tablespoons of pickles, 1 small chopped onion
Mix really well with a spoon, then chop up eggs and salt and pepper to taste.
(You also may want to add or take away on mustard, mayo, and pickles. I'm just guessing because I don't measure by cups, just by taste and look.)
(Some like it warm and some like it cooled over night)
Chicken & Dressing
I cook a cake pan 11 x 13 full of corn bread the day before.( How I make corn bread): In cake pan I melt 2 tbl spoons of butter and 2 tbl of oil, put in oven 400 degrees till hot and melted. In a big mixing bowl I put corn meal and add milk till a little soupy. When butter and oil are melted mix in with corn meal and milk, then pour in pan till brown.)
Boil 4 leg quarters (make sure you keep plenty water in the chicken for broth) Salt and pepper your leg quarters while boiling. Just before chicken is done put 4 eggs in to boil, about 20 - 30 minutes. when chicken and eggs are done set aside to cool.
In a big mixing bowl put in about 1/2 of the corn bread and some broth. Also add 3-4 chopped celery, 1 chopped onion, 1 can of cream of chicken, a little season all, a little poultry season and keep adding more broth and corn bread. Make it a little soupy. when you got it seasoned to taste add your chicken ( De boned, de skinned and cut into small pieces) also chop your eggs and add to dressing. Put in oven and cook till brown and set. Over at 400 degrees about an hour.
I go to momma's and help her cook mashed potatoes, peas, beans, rolls and deviled eggs. We also have ham & turkey, because I don't like turkey.
Our deserts:
On Thanksgiving momma cooks a chocolate cake with homemade chocolate icing for my birthday.

Icing:
add 3 cups powder sugar, 2/3 cocoa, 1 stick melted butter, 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix well with mixer.
Peanut Butter Yummies
1 box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 stick butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup of creamy peanut butter
1 cup (8oz) semi sweet chocolate chips
Mix cake, butter, egg and peanut butter in bowl. Pour 2/3 of mixture into 9X13 baking pan. Melt chocolate chips (you can microwave then, use a boiler or what ever is best for you)When melted pour over cake mixture, then put the rest of cake mixture on top. (if you like you can pour 1/2 then of melted chips, then cake mixture then the rest of the melted chips) Put in pre heated oven of 350 degrees and cook 20-30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Easy Chocolate Lover's Cheese pie
Ingredients:
3 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (12 oz package) Hershey's mini chips-semi-sweet chocolate, divided
1 extra- serving- size packaged graham cracker crumb crust (9 oz)
2 tablespoons whipping cream
prep time: 15 minutes
bake time: 40 minutes
(1) Heat oven to 450 degrees
(2) Beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl with mixer until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir in 1 2/3 cups small chocolate chips; pour into crust.
(3) Bake 10 minutes. Without opening oven door, reduce temperature to 250 degrees; continue baking 30 minutes or just until set. Remove from oven to wire rack. Cool completely. Cover; refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
(4) Place remaining 1/3 cup chips and whipping cream in small bowl. Microwave at High for 20 - 30 seconds or just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Cool slightly; spread over top of cheese pie. Refrigerate 15 minutes or until topping set.
We also make sweet potato pie and pecan pie. Can't find my recipes at this time. I'll try and add them this week.

One big tradition that is on my husband's side is all the men go hunting together on Thanksgiving and Christmas. We are talking 15 - 20 guys!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh good, I am the first to comment. I noticed you were on-line when I went on my page. You missed the butter in your Peanut Butter Yummies again. It is not to late to hit the edit button and fix it;-). It looks like you have some great recipes for your family dinners and that is a lot of guys to have the tradition of hunting on the holidays.

karisma said...

That chocolate cheese pie sounds divine. I am so not going to make it this week, no Im not. Next week its in for sure. Im getting fat visiting all these recipes.

Hootin Anni said...

My hubby would definitely like your corn bread!! Sounds like your traditions are very warm and loving...with family!!!

Debs said...

HUNTING! I forgot all about HUNTING. My brother and dad go hunting every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We could not eat until they got back. I hated to wait. LOL

The recipes sound so yummy!!

Holly said...

Turkey is my least favorite part, but we eat it anyway. :-) Thanks for the award if I didn't already say it, I get confused so easliy.

Unknown said...

Yummy, you're making me hungry!

The deer don't stand a chance against that many guys!

Tiggerlane said...

My husband would love your potato salad - I made mine with red potatoes one time, and he made THE FACE. It isn't potato salad without mustard! I can't wait to have a working oven again so that I can try out your yummy recipes!

Sandy said...

What? No venison for dinner? Good looking deer!

-Ann said...

So many recipes to choose from. I love corn bread - must add corn meal to my list of things to bring back from Ohio.

Unknown said...

You know my husband went hunting on the holidays a lot. Now, thanks to the baby & I, he has a great excuse to get out of it...he hates hunting! You meals sound deelish!

ChrisB said...

I've never tried cornbread, and have often wondered what it tastes like! You have given us some great recipes to try.

Anonymous said...

Lots of great recipe ideas here. Thanks!

15-20 hunters? How do they keep from shooting each other?

Anonymous said...

Those look like yummy recipes....especially the peanut butter one.

Anonymous said...

Ummm. Sound so good!! Can you run the left overs by our place afterwards?

Dea said...

YUMMERS! Awesome recipes - thank you SO much for sharing and joining in!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm....everything sounds WONDERFUL and relatively easy to make.

Do y'all eat what the guys bring home? Is that the post-holiday tradition?

Anonymous said...

Great recipes. I bet they taste wonderful. Eating with family is what it is all about.

theotherbear said...

Oh those recipes sound great, thanks for posting them!