Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Menopause

Surgical menopause occurs when a premenopausal woman has her ovaries surgically removed in a procedure called a bilateral oophorectomy. This causes an abrupt menopause, with women often experiencing more severe menopausal symptoms than if they were to experience menopause naturally.

Physical symptoms of menopause include:
"Hot flashes" - sudden waves of mild or intense body heat
Night sweats - similar to hot flashes that occur at night and result in profuse sweating
Difficulty sleeping
Headaches
Increasing variability of the menstrual cycle, including irregular and missed periods
Decreased bone density (occurring later in the menopausal transition), potentially leading to osteoporosis and fractures.
Emotional symptoms may include:
Mood changes
Anxiety
Forgetfulness or problems with focus and concentration

*********************************
(The ones in bold are the ones I'm having the most problem with!) So, if you haven't gone here yet, look what you have to look forward to.)
*********************************
Why don't they just tell you it is like going through Puberty, but more intense.
OMgees! I'm going through the change, big time and have 2 teens and one well on her way! I'm the one with the major hot flashes and I think my husband and I will fight over the heat all winter. I tell him to get a blanket and leave the heat off! On the other hand the Mood Changes are........... Horrible! & with 3 kids going through the change (in a different way) Boy! You can tell where this going. We are all clashing. I guess that's why my hubby stays gone hunting all the time. LOL!
I have always been real passive and happy go lucky. I'm still happy go lucky, but don't piss in my cheerios! LOL! I don't put up and can't handle people's stupidity and being ugly to me like I use to. Some times this scares me, but in a way I'm glad I can stand up for my self more with out the guilt! Don't let me run no one off. You know what I'm talking about. Not letting people run all over you where I use to take it and cry about it when it built up. Now, I just tell you like it is and then turn around and say to my self, was that me? LOL!
It's not as bad as you may think, but I sure will be glad when all this change is over.
Hope you have a happy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are going through this...and early. Ughhh. My mom went through it early even though she didn't have the surgery and had her period 365 days a year!!! Double ugh. She was a little younger than I am now when it started, so I am hoping it won't happen to me. Although I am moody as hell for 3 weeks a month. hmmm..

Ami said...

Well, hormone fluctuations suck, but if yours mean you're standing up for yourself at last, it's not all bad.

I can sure sympathize, though. I'll be 47 in less than a month and have noticed a lot of different changes.

Hang in there.

Holly said...

Well, at least your mood swings just blend right in with the teens. :-)

Take care.

Heather said...

My grandma was telling me not to be surprised if I am in the early stages of menopause because she was through it by something like 33 and I'm 32. Little did she know that while having this conversation I was pregnant. Heck I'm hot, moody, forgetful, having headaches, can't sleep, and I'm gaining weight like you wouldn't believe. Pregnancy and menopause sound oddly similar.

Holly said...

I keep forgetting to tell you, happy (early) birthday. Mine's not until the 15th. We celebrated early with my sister moving.

kitten said...

Yep! Mine is today. I'm 39! Yeah!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. I am glad I came to the party late, so I could know that and wish you a happy birthday. Mine is in March, and I will be 45. I have not started having noticeable changes, but I do have mood problems with being ill this week. It seems common as a couple other people had it, and had the same problem. Anyway, I hope you had a good birthday and your symptoms improve quickly.

Debs said...

I feel your pain.

Good for you standing up for yourself without any guilt. :)