Thursday, October 11, 2007

Recipes for the week

Apple & Celery Salad With Orange Dressing
Ingredients
1 apple with peel, cored and chopped
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped almonds
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
6 cups mixed salad greens
Instructions
Place the apple, celery and almonds in a bowl.
Combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, orange peel and juice. Mix well. Toss with apples.
To serve, place the greens on 4 plates and top each with 1/4 of the dressed salad.
Serving quantity: Serves 4.
***************************************
Porcupines
INGREDIENTS:
2 pound lean ground beef
1 cup rice
2 cups water
pinch of salt
1 small finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 large can (15 ounces) dice tomatoes
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
PREPARATION:
Cook the rice with 2 cups of water and pinch of salt. - Let the water come to a boil then turn on low for 20 mins. While rice is cooking mix ground beef , chopped onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, pepper, and diced tomatoes. When rice is done mix well with ground beef mixture. Shape in 2-3 inch round balls and place in casserole dish. Cook for about 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees (sometimes I cook at 400 degrees)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look great. I have never made porcupine meatballs, but I have heard of them. I usually make mine with flour and oatmeal or cracker crumbs. I try to stay away from bread crumbs, but have used them as well. I am making meatballs later in the month so might try it with rice this time.

That salad looks great. It would probably be really good with some walnuts as well. I am a little nutty that way. Of course some people are allergic so I have to be careful of that.

Thanks for sharing your recipes.

kitten said...

I use crackers in my meatloaf, but in this the rice acts as the filler.
I have not ever used crackers or something like that in my meatballs. Is it good that way?