Thursday, October 18, 2007

Another good thing about Home Schooling......


Resources! When home schooling your resources are limitless!
I was at the library the other day looking for a certain book I needed. The lady that was helping me asked, "Do you not use one particular curriculum?" I was like, No. Before I could say anything else she asked, " How do you teach without using one complete curriculum?" With out even hesitating I answered, "Resources!, of coarse." She looked at me funny. I told her she would be surprised how many resources were out there. She just stood there like she wanted me to give her a few and I did. The 1st thing out of my mouth was... The local library is a valuable resource, but that's only the beginning. She looked very pleased and said, I guess you are never too old to learn new things. She still asked, Well, is there anymore? Boy, I was like a little kid in a candy store. This lady was really interested and not being judgmental, so I kept talking. I told her that no only the library, but museums, the Internet, and that the list could go on and on. I told her that this year we went around interviewing elder adults for some of our History. She looked a little puzzled. I explained what better way to know about what happened in the early years than from the people that lived it. I told her that with my kids, if you go on a field trip and let them see it, then discuss it a little more at home, that they retain it better. I walked away from this conversation very pleased with my self. The more I home school the more I LOVE it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. I love it when I can be in a conversation with someone who is open minded and wanting to learn. I get pretty excited about it too. I sent a really long email to Robinella today about unschooling because she wanted to know. I love helping people understand, and so many times people have poor judgements of home schooling because they are uninformed.

kitten said...

so many times people have poor judgements of home schooling because they are uninformed.
That statement is so true!

Holly said...

So good that you found someone who was open to information. That's always so nice :-).

Heather said...

I'm really surprised she asked about it. It's uncommon for people to ask. Seems like they'd much rather form their own (wrong) opinions without information. Good for this woman for asking. And good for you for being a great spokesperson for homeschooling. I just love when I get that opportunity!