Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Our garden (A little Bragging)



Our beautiful garden! I'm so proud it and we have learned so much. At 1st we were having problems with our tomatoes. We went to the Feed Mill to learn how to take better care and bought a lot of stuff. It didn't work. We went to family and they told us to use Epsom Salt. It worked really well. We have figured out that next year when we do another one to use manure, potting soil and Epsom salt when we 1st till it. As pretty and fruitful ours is now after we learned a lot of neat stuff, I can't wait till next year.

I have also found it to be so relaxing and rewarding doing a garden. (Because we live in the middle of town we had to make 2 small gardens, but they still are beautiful!)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh I'm jealous! Epsom salt.. I'll have to try that. We have two gardens also, because the corn likes sun and the lettuce not so much. I've got pumpkins vining around the corn stalks, but that turned out to be a good thing. The big leaves of the pumpkin shade the ground around the corn to discourage weed growth, and by the time the pumpkins are ready to cut, the corn will be long gone.

kitten said...

Yes, girl it works! since it's late in the year you can put epsom salt in water to disolve it and pour it around the roots. Dan's Uncle told us that next year we could till it up in the ground when we till our garden or if the rest of the garden don't need it we can put it directly under the tomatoe plants.
Good luck!
I'm glad we did this as part of our schooling. We have learned more than any text book could ever teach.

Heather said...

It's beautiful. We have a small garden in the back, a tiny garden in the front, and a few pots with carrots and radishes. Gardening in the city can be tough, but oh so rewarding. We just picked our first tomato last night. I sliced it up for the kids to share. They loved it. I have garden pictures on my blog, too.