Monday, July 16, 2007

Cabbage!

Cabbage, cabbage and more cabbage! That's what it was like this week-end. There is this lady my FIL knows that has a huge garden and sells her veggies. She called him and told him because of the high humidity and rain that she had bad spots on the outside of her cabbage no one would buy them. She told him to come and get all he wanted. So, my husband and I went with him and got over 80 heads. We thought if they are bad we would get a lot and hope to be able to use at least 1/2. She told us we could get more, but I didn't have any more room in my van. We told her that we may come back. I have no idea why she couldn't sell them. The only bad spots was the outside leaves and her cabbage was huge!!!!!!I mean they made 3-4 of what you buy in the grocery store. We gave my mom 1, another person 2, and gave my husband's grandmother 30 to make sauerkraut. Then we cooked and put up 51 gallons and made 14 quart jars of chow chow. Plus we cooked some Friday night and cooked 2 heads differently to eat Saturday. You would think someone would have enough of cabbage after all that, but Nooooooooooooooo! My hubby wants to go back this week end and get about 1/2 or more of what we got this past week- end and put it all up in chow chow. Know I love chow chow, but that is a lot of cabbage! Maybe 5 heads, not 40 or so. OMGees! We already have cabbage coming out our ears and he wants more. I guess I'll have to wait and see what he decides this week end, but I really hope he don't want that many. LOL! People will be calling us cabbage heads! LOL!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I know I suffer from total ignorance when it comes to cabbage. So teach me. What is chow chow? The only thing we've used cabbage for lately is science experiments.

kitten said...

Girl!, I could give you all kinda of ways to fix cabbage. That really taste good and on the most part good for ya!