Saturday, December 08, 2007

My sleep study

They finally got my CPAP machine set for me and added a humidifier to it to keep my sinuses from getting so dried out. I was sorta glad because I was starting to get a cold or maybe it was just from the machine drying me out. It really helped having the humidifier. The narcolepsy part of the test was not as bad as I thought. After they woke me up at 6 A.M. I was free to go outside and smoke or whatever. They brought me a okay breakfast. Then every 2 - 2 1/2 hours I would have to lay down for a 20 minute nap. It takes most people 20 minutes to an hour to go to sleep. The way they have the test if you go to sleep in that 20 minutes then they add 15 minutes to see if you have rapid eye movement. Well, I fell a sleep with in 2- 3 minutes every time, so they didn't have to add the 15 minutes to me. The man doing my day time study said that he had never seen anybody go to sleep as fast as I did especially after sleeping 8 hours plus every time for 4 nap studies. The Dr. didn't add my medicine to help me with my narcolepsy part yet because he wants my body to use to the setting on the machine for a month, then see what my level of sleepiness is before he gives them to me. This way he can make sure not to over medicate me. Maybe now I will have more energy to be able to keep up my kids and most of everything else life throws at me. LOL!

5 comments:

Junebug said...

You know I was wondering where I had heard of CPAP before. Now I remember my dad was in the hospital and they had to put one on him. Gosh, I didn't know you had to have one. My husband can go to sleep like in 2 or 3 minutes too and he snores to high heaven sometimes. Maybe he needs to do a sleep apnea study. He doesn't even wake himself by his loud snoring and when he does wake up at the slightest movement by me, he falls back to sleep in about 2 seconds. It drives me crazy! I take forever to fall asleep and I wake easily too. I left you some instructions on my tag post for you. If you need help, you can email me @junebug57@gmail.com

Dawn said...

I am glad they got it all set up for you. I hope it helps with the energy and the sleep. I can fall asleep within 2 to 3 minutes if I am wanting to have a nap, or if I am a passenger in a vehicle or any time after noon if I read for a while. Sirdar noticed a big difference with his CPAP when he got it, and notices a difference if he doesn't use it so I think it works, although he should get a new one.

Ami said...

My dad has a machine now. He feels better than he has in 20 years, he says. It's also helped with his depression.

Glad you're back with us and able to post about the experience.

:)

Robinella said...

That just goes to show you how little quality sleep you actually get, if you can sleep 8 hrs and then fall asleep on command. My FIL and Mom's hubby both did this. It helped them.

Cynthia said...

I use a CPAP. I loved it the first few months. I felt like a whole new person. Lately my mask has been hurting my face. I need to try and get a new shape sometime.