Friday, January 11, 2008

Yesterday was a crazy day


Even thou everything started out normal, it didn't stay that way. The kids have not wanted to wake up this week, so yesterday instead of fighting with them, I went back to bed till they got up. We got up about 11 and started our day off like normal. My husband called at lunch and asked what the weather was doing and I told him it was just cloudy here. Not even 5 minutes after we got off the phone and the kids and I started back to schooling, the city wide alarms went off. I ran and opened the front door and turned on the news. To me it was dark and the clouds were moving funny, but no rain. When I turned on the TV, they said that a tornado was in Thaxton (a small community in the country part of Pontotoc) and was heading straight to the City of Pontotoc. (That's were we are) I told the kids to get their blankets and pillows and head to the hallway. I stood in the front door watching outside and stepping back to watch the weather on TV. After 20 minutes passed I realized that the tornado turned and went to New Albany. (That's a county next to us) It still wasn't even raining. I had the kids to come back to the table, but leave their stuff in the hallway because there were still more tornadoes all around us. About 30 minutes after the kids and I got back started with school the city wide alarms went back off. I jumped up to the TV and seen that the tornado that had went toward New Albany had went to another part of Pontotoc on its way out. After all that, it started raining. Even thou here were I live it never got that bad, I can't say that for other parts of MS. Here is a few stories. (Caledonia) Even thou the News coverage here not complete, this town was hit the hardest. This town was tore up! School buses went into the school and many many homes destroyed.( Clay County ) They had a few homes destroyed and 2 hurt, but not severe.( North of Iuka,) This story is correct so far. Veron Alabama was hit yesterday also. I know my sister in law is okay, but not sure of the damage done there. (That brother is a truck driver and is the one I had to go to NC because he had a heart attack while he was on the road. He's doing good and back to work.) Even thou to me it looked worse to me Tuesday, yesterday storms out done Tuesday's storms.

10 comments:

karisma said...

OMG How scary! Im glad to see you are all okay.

hsing3kinder said...

Glad you all are safe! We had storm warnings here too, with sirens going off around noon. Had them Tuesday also and spent a bit in the basement that day.
~Kris

Ami said...

There was a tornado yesterday across the river from us. As it broke up, it crossed the river into Oregon and dumped about 4 inches of pea-sized hail on a small area of town. It's very unusual to have a tornado touch down here, the last one was in 1972.

So a strange weather day.

Did you take that picture?

GailV said...

Okay, the question we all have as soon as we see this post is:

DID YOU TAKE THIS PICTURE?

And if so, where the heck were you? Because we've talked to you already about being safe in storms, young lady, and you need to start listening to us for your own good.

Holly said...

O.k., yes, where the hell did that picture come from! Glad your safe, but hopefully not crazy. Hope oyu stay safe!

Robinella said...

I saw that on the news this morning. Glad you and the kids are safe.

Heather said...

I am so happy you are all safe. I was worried when I heard the news about bad weather in your area. We get hit with this stuff in the spring and spend a lot of time in the basement without power.

Robocop said...

Beautiful picture of the lightening.

Anonymous said...

Oh what wonderful capture but how scary

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is exciting (in a not so good way). We have only had a few tornados up here in the summer and that has only happened really in the last 20 years. What very odd weather for this time of year, even for where you live. It is tough to do school with such excitement, yet, it is school too.