Thursday, May 10, 2007

Dyslexia! Dyslexia! Dyslexia!

I have 3 kids that have dyslexia. You can not really tell with my oldest thou. But my youngest 2 seem to struggle to no end. I'm not complaining about my kids, for real, but I wish it was easier to help them. I feel so helpless sometimes. I can see the world around me getting more aware of kids with dyslexia and I think its great! But there is a big BUT! My but is that they do all these conferences to make parents and teachers aware, but no real help. Yea, if you got money coming out your ears you can get help, IMO. I was getting help with mine, but now our insurance will not pay for it. They also have a lot of materials you can buy and use at home, but again MONEY is the issue. There was 2 teachers here in our local area that went back to college to help the kids in our local schools. The Superintendent told these teachers that the school didn't want to deal with those kind of kids. What? These kind of kids are over all smart, high IQ's for most. They just have to learn a different way of learning and if dyslexia a learning disability why don't we have more resources or help that is affordable. To me these kids already feel different and with the right help can be something really great! But no!
Okay! I laid in the bed most of the night with this on my mind and was going to write all this glorious stuff this morning and now I have forgot 1/2 what I had on my mind. So, I guess I'll end my rant, but still wish there was more help out there because these kids (mine and others) are very precious and have a lot to offer if they just had a chance.
This might just be a problem in my area because of where I live, but I really wish I could do more to help my kids.
kitten

6 comments:

Ami said...

It's a problem here, too. Thing is, it's not just kids with different learning abilities. It's all of them. The only children I know who receive a custom education are the ones who are learning outside the public school.
It's sad.
But you can take comfort in the fact that YOU are doing the best thing in the world for your children.

kitten said...

Ami, I didn't think it was just my area, but didn't want to offend anybody. Thanks for the encouragement, but it still bothers me I can't afford the things they need. I guess thats where creativeness has to come in.
kitten

Anonymous said...

Is there anything you could offer up as a swap on a sale and swap board?

I feel for you, and wish there was something I could do. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

kitten,
I have a limited experience working with dyslexic children. but what I see that helps is repetition and time. it isn't easy, and there is no magic, but those two ingredients seem to produce confident and intelligent children. my .02 worth!!

Anonymous said...

Kitten,
My daughter has dyslexia too. I researched problem solving for dyslexia+ went to seminars too and found that there is a bit of relief. Try looking into the Barton Reading & Spelling System or any Orton-Gillingham based systems. The Barton system was made for parents to do at home with their child. There are at least 9-11 levels each one costing around $250.00 but with 3 children with dyslexia that may even out to your benefit. Hope this helps to your children and you.
Kathie

Anonymous said...

I know how difficult dealing with dyslexia can be, it took me a long time to start and over come mine. Here are a few suggestions from my childhood. I was forced threw hooked on phonics, and must admit that it worked pretty well, though at the time i hated it. I also made letters and spelled words out of clay, this helped not only getting the shapes of the letters down, but if i had them facing the wrong way or had the letters scrambeled it could easily be fixed. Also the book "The gift of Dyslexia" really both my mother and i understand dyslexia more. Good luck!