Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Recipe and weather

Here in the south drought is usually our #1 problem with crops. Here in Mississippi we have not had that problem this year. We have had too much rain. The only crops that affect this house that the rain has affected are watermelon and sweet potatoes. I rather go to a field and dig my own sweet potatoes, but this year the ones we got were all bad. So, I guess I will have to go buy sweet potatoes from the market basket. I sure don't want to buy them from the grocery store because they don't have much taste. This time of year makes me think of turnip greens and sweet potatoes! The greens are plentiful, but the sweet potatoes are a different story. With the Holidays coming I thought I would share my sweet potato pie recipe.
Hope you enjoy!



1 (1 pound) sweet potato
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk (sometimes I use 1/2 cup condensed milk)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

DIRECTIONS
Bake sweet potato whole in skin for about a hour, or until done in oven.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs,cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. I love greens and potatoes of any kind this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. We are getting great sweet potatoes from the farmer's market now, but intermittently. I will have to try this the next time we get them :-)

MOM #1 said...

I guess we're catching your missing drought . . . not a drop of rain in weeks.

I don't like sweet potatoes or sweet potato pie, but Baby Boy can eat his share and mine too, LOL.

ChrisB said...

I like the sound of that!

Anonymous said...

I have never had sweet potato pie, but they don't grow here or not well anyway, so we have to buy the supermarket ones. It looks quite a bit like pumpkin pie. I have made applesauce pie the same way.

Anonymous said...

Those all are my favorite ingredients.... will love food made by using them.

karisma said...

mmmmmmm

Robocop said...

Looks yummy. BTW: What was it you had for me in your blog?

Wendy said...

Oh, how I love cooking with sweet potato! Thanks for sharing this recipe. This is a wonderful time of year for comfort food.

Robocop said...

Thanks for the award. I placed it on the bottom of my blog.

storyteller said...

Sorry your sweet potato and watermelon crop. I love, love, love sweet potatoes and eat them cooked in a variety of ways. Thanks for sharing your sweet potato pie recipe. It’s been a long time since I’ve had any … and I’m not sure where my mom’s recipe is. Maybe I’ll bake one to take to my friend’s house on Thanksgiving.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

YYum~ I love squash..sweet potatoes!!
Thanks for checking up on me!! I so hope this goes okay..I can do regular births..slightly early without pain meds..I have never had time to get any pain meds....so a little scared on the inducing part!!!

Pamela said...

I made sweet 'tator pie once and it just wasn't received well.
I think it must be an acquired taste, just as pumpkin pie is.

SabrinaT said...

I love, love, love, sweet potatos!
We are in the middle of rainy season. we will get rain for about 3 months. yikes!

karisma said...

Nom nom nom! I love sweet potato pie! I make up different ones every time. Coz I am very eclectic you know! haha! I have not forgotten your pressie, I am holding off a couple of days as I am knitting you a little something extra from my heart. Me being me, I went and signed up for Pay it forward and did not have any personal stuff to give out. So I went out and bought a heap of pressies and then thought to myself I would like to give you something I made myself. So soon it will be ready! Take care, I hope your foot feels better! Love and smoochies xxxx