Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Recipe for Chow Chow

Ingredients needed:
1- cabbage (shredded)
4- cucumber (chopped)
4- red tomatoes (chopped)
4- green tomatoes (chopped)
2-3 bell peppers (chopped)
5-6 hot peppers (chopped)you can add more if like.
2 - onions (chopped)
3 cups of sugar
3 pints of white vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Put about 3 table spoons of all spice in a new sock, tie it off and throw it pot.(Throw sock away or empty it and wash it for another batch.)
Mix all in one big pot, bring to a good boil, then turn down on medium and put the lid on it. Cook about 20 - 30 minutes or until tender. Don't over cook 'cause you will cook all the liquid out.
Then put in canning jars. Put enough liquid to bottom ring. Wait 20 30 minutes and make sure jars seal.
Most people eat chow chow with peas, greens, or just about anything. I like to heat mine up and eat with corn bread.
If jars seal good it will last about a year. Refrigerate after open.
Try it you might just like it!

3 comments:

Heather said...

This sounds yummy. I think I even have most of the ingredients either in my garden or in my kitchen. Thanks for the recipe.

kitten said...

You welcome sweety! Let me know how it turns out.

Lord War Wizard said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

If only I can cook... :P